Definition of microvillus in English:
noun (plural microvilli ˌmʌɪkrəʊˈvɪlʌɪˌmʌɪkrəʊˈvɪliː)Biology
Each of a large number of minute projections from the surface of some cells.
- The diagnosis was confirmed by the ultrastructural demonstration of large desmosomes and long microvilli at the cell surface.
- The luminal surface of the epithelial cells contained few irregular cytoplasmic projections, but cilia or microvilli were absent.
- These cells are sparse but are easily distinguished from other epithelial cells by the presence of a tuft of blunt, squat microvilli on the cell surface.
- Example sentences
- The underlying epithelial cells show irregular light nuclei containing discrete nucleoli and a microvillar layer that is presumably secreting the basal layer of cuticle (arrow).
- Equally a mystery are the mechanisms responsible for the construction and destruction of the microvillar membrane with changes in microvillus length.
- As the core filaments polymerize, other microvillar proteins (villin, fimbrin, etc.) are mobilized from the cytoplasm and inserted.
Definition of microvillus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.