Definition of micrurgy in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
The manipulation of individual cells under a microscope.
- To make a more quantitative study of nuclear protein, a combination of tritium labeling, autoradiography, and micrurgy was performed with the amoeba cultures.
- These spectacles are useful in endoscopic micrurgy, various medical fields, in jewelry, electronics, dentistry, and for making precision assemblies and the like.
- In recent years such high-precision instruments have been developed, and microsurgery on cells, known as micrurgy, has become an important part of the study of protoplasm.
- micrurgical adjective
- Example sentences
- Thus, micrurgical fragmentation of young exconjugant cells can be used to accelerate maturation in D. anser.
- Results of studies by our group on amoebae as moving cells, as material for micrurgical manipulations, and as hosts for intracellular symbionts are summarized here.
1920s: from micro- 'small' + Greek -ourgia 'work'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.