Definition of midfield in English:
1(Chiefly in soccer) the central part of the field.
- Danny Carroll was switched from the midfield to centre-half for the last two games.
- With the injured Paul Warhurst absent, Paul Scholes had a field day in midfield.
- The midfield area is one that could decide the outcome of the game.
1.1The players on a team who play in a central position between attack and defence.
- Their central midfield was notable more for foraging than contributions in attack.
- Far from being an entertaining contest, it was one that the defences and midfields dominated.
- Aided by the midfield, the Kirkby defence managed to weather the initial storm.
- Example sentences
- Mind you, he is being given no cover by his centre-halves or midfielders.
- Maybe he didn't have any creative talent but he could stop an opposing attack better than many other midfielders in the Premiership.
- The England man is one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, and any side would be weaker without him.
Definition of midfield in:
- US English dictionary