Definition of midfield in English:
1(Chiefly in soccer) the central part of the field.
- Danny Carroll was switched from the midfield to centre-half for the last two games.
- With the injured Paul Warhurst absent, Paul Scholes had a field day in midfield.
- The midfield area is one that could decide the outcome of the game.
1.1The players on a team who play in a central position between attack and defence.
- Their central midfield was notable more for foraging than contributions in attack.
- Far from being an entertaining contest, it was one that the defences and midfields dominated.
- Aided by the midfield, the Kirkby defence managed to weather the initial storm.
- Example sentences
- Mind you, he is being given no cover by his centre-halves or midfielders.
- Maybe he didn't have any creative talent but he could stop an opposing attack better than many other midfielders in the Premiership.
- The England man is one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, and any side would be weaker without him.
Definition of midfield in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan