A herbaceous plant with spikes of small fragrant greenish flowers.
- Genus Reseda, family Resedaceae: several species, in particular the North African R. odorata, which is cultivated as an ornamental and for its essential oil, and the European wild mignonette (R. lutea)
More example sentences
- Try poppies, cornflowers, stocks, love-in-a-mist, cosmos, mignonette, larkspur, honesty, ox-eye daisies, marigolds, phlox, sunflowers, zinnias - whatever takes your fancy.
- At Vithion in its wonderful setting by the sea near the end of the peninsula, there were mignonettes, scarlet tulips and geraniums.
- The lightweight polypropylene mesh stretches between stakes, over your flowers that need support - like snapdragons, lisianthus, campanula, mignonette and many more.
early 18th century: from French mignonnette, diminutive of mignon 'small and sweet'.
Definition of mignonette in:
- The US English dictionary