Definition of milestone in English:
1A stone set up beside a road to mark the distance in miles to a particular place.
- A granite marker stone or milestone is preserved in Breage church.
- Stuart now studies old Ordnance Survey maps, which mark the location of milestones with the letters MS, or MP for milepost.
- The French twin town presented Ingleton with a milestone setting out the distance between the two.
2A significant stage or event in the development of something: the speech is being hailed as a milestone in race relations
More example sentences
- Here are important milestones on the road leading up to the current situation.
- It is not easy but represents a positive milestone on the long road to recovery.
- Each of these are milestones on a road that's inexorably leading us into a one-way street from which there is no return.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan