Definition of miosis in English:
Excessive constriction of the pupil of the eye.
- Symptoms include nasal congestion, ptosis of one eyelid, miosis, and conjunctional hyperemia.
- Oral pilocarpine is contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled asthma and in patients in whom miosis is undesirable, such as patients with acute iritis or narrow angle (angle closure) glaucoma.
- After inhalation of vapour, respiratory symptoms, dimming of vision, and miosis are generally the first clinical features to appear.
- Example sentences
- Its pharmacology accounts for its analgesic and antitussive properties, along with adverse effects such as respiratory depression, decreased bowel motility, miotic pupils, nausea and hypotension.
- Since the pupillary sphincter is not receiving blood, neither light nor a miotic agent produces miosis.
- Although topical miotic drops or gel preparations are poorly tolerated by younger patients due to induced myopia and accommodative spasm, pilocarpine Ocuserts are extremely well tolerated.
Early 19th century: from Greek muein 'shut the eyes' + -osis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.