Definition of mitogen in English:
A substance that induces or stimulates mitosis.
- Platelet-derived growth factor is a major polypeptide growth factor found in human serum, platelets and fibroblasts and is a potent mitogen for cells of mesenchymal origin.
- The technique of three-color flow cytometry was used to generate precise estimates of cytokine responses to cells collected from the blood, cultured and stimulated with a mitogen.
- Cells from each individual were tested at 3 different concentrations of the mitogens for optimum stimulation.
- Example sentences
- In addition, muscarinic receptor stimulation augmented the mitogenic responses of human airway smooth muscle cells to epidermal growth factor.
- Endothelin - 1 has been implicated in pulmonary hypertension because of its dual vasoconstrictor and mitogenic actions.
- When associated with vesicles of dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine, surfactant protein C inhibited the mitogenic effect of lipopolysaccharide to a macrophage cell line.
Definition of mitogen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan