(also Chinese mitten crab)
- An olive-green Asian crab with hairy pincers that has been introduced into Europe, where it lives in fresh water and estuaries and can become a pest.
More example sentences
- Eriocheir sinensis, family Grapsidae
- In Asia the mitten crab is considered a delicacy.
- The mitten crab was first recorded in the River Aller near Weser in Germany, but has since spread throughout northern Europe as well as North America.
- As we wandered around the first section of the aquarium, peering into tanks and adoring the cuddly-looking mitten crab, we discovered a tank that seemed to have nothing in it.