- Jazz as developed in the 1940s and 1950s, especially bebop and the music that followed it.More example sentences
- The author does take the position, and I believe rightly so, that classic bebop represents the beginning of modern jazz - a combo jazz, rather than swing or big band jazz.
- Saxophonist Charlie Parker, who helped invent the modern jazz style of be-bop, was also one of jazz's first existential heroes - a famously self-destructive genius who died at age 34.
- Playing concerts into his seventies, Goodman experimented with modern jazz and classical music; his later career, however, mostly celebrated his past.
More definitions of modern jazzDefinition of modern jazz in:
- The US English dictionary