noun (plural modioli)Anatomy
- The conical central axis of the cochlea of the ear.More example sentences
- Specifically, we find that the TM is more rigid toward the inner zones where the tissue attaches to the modiolus and generally softest in the neighborhood of the sensory hair cells.
- The bulla was opened to expose the cochlea, the bony capsule was removed, and the apical turn of the organ of Corti was dissected from the modiolus.
- The inferolateral boundaries extend downward and medially from the modioli to the mentolabial sulcus.
early 19th century: from Latin, literally 'nave of a wheel'.
More definitions of modiolusDefinition of modiolus in:
- The US English dictionary