noun (plural mollies)
A small live-bearing killifish which is popular in aquaria and has been bred in many colours, especially black.
- Genus Poecilia, family Poeciliidae: several species, in particular P. sphenops. See also sailfin molly
More example sentences
- Many fish lay eggs, but some - including common aquarium fish such as guppies, swordtails, and mollies - retain the eggs inside their bodies until hatching.
- The company rears popular varieties like goldfish, angelfish, mollies and fighters in its farm near Coimbatore.
- Female Mexican mollies, P. mexicana, did not discriminate between sworded males and unsworded males based on mating interest.
1930s: from modern Latin Mollienisia (former genus name), from the name of Count Mollien (1758–1850), French statesman.
More definitions of mollyDefinition of molly in:
- The US English dictionary