A person whose business is lending money to others who pay interest.
- Here we have masses of lower income people transferring their meager wealth via outrageous interest rates to unscrupulous moneylenders.
- It does not state on its website that it is a registered moneylender, or that its interest rate is 37.1 per cent APR.
- Most of the people we were lending to had, at one time or another, been indebted to illegal moneylenders, who charge interest rates of 300 percent per annum.
moneylending noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Any lender offering loans above 23 per cent APR must apply to the regulatory authority for a moneylending licence.
- In effect, we are slowly surrendering our sovereignty in exchange for moneylending.
- Women's moneylending varies seasonally in tandem with agrarian financial cycles.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: money|lend¦er
Definition of moneylender in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.