Definition of monism in English:
nounPhilosophy & Theology
1A theory or doctrine that denies the existence of a distinction or duality in a particular sphere, such as that between matter and mind, or God and the world.
- The coherence theory builds in a metaphysical bias towards monism: the idea that everything we know should somehow form one massive ‘complete theory of everything’.
- Paganism on the other hand has adopted a worldview based on monism, where duality is more often perceived as aspects of an encompassing whole.
- He combined ancient classical humanism with Oriental metaphysics to ratify his own down-to-earth brand of philosophical monism.
1.1The doctrine that only one supreme being exists. Compare with pluralism.
- If this step from monotheism to monism goes too far, in what ways can Judaism respond to a postmodern desire for Oneness?
- Theism might always be about meaning, but what religion would look like if monism were asserted against theism is an open question.
- Example sentences
- Only monists and missionaries think that differences must be removed, or that differences will just disappear once everyone is ‘liberated’ and free to see the light.
- The other thing that interests me is that the Hippocratics were in a sense the first monists rather than dualists and by that I mean that they argued that the mind equalled the brain.
- In considering how such tensions can be resolved there is an important difference between monists and pluralists in philosophy.
- Example sentences
- It will not succeed in this task if it tries to describe reality neutrally in a perspective of observation, whether this occurs in the form of a monistic or pluralistic metaphysics.
- Totalitarianism rejects these commitments in the name of a monistic vision of human life and an all-powerful government that seeks to implement that vision.
- Instead they have refused assimilation and present themselves as the monistic alternative to the monism of Western modernity.
Pronunciation: /ˈmɒnɪst/ /ˈməʊnɪst/noun& adjective
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin monismus, from Greek monos 'single'.
Words that rhyme with monismholism • cataclysm • papism
Definition of monism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.