Definition of monkey wrench in English:
An adjustable spanner with large jaws which has its adjusting screw located in the jaw that is fixed.
- Consider a multi-wrench for those all-purpose jobs, but also add a pipe wrench, a spud wrench, strap and chain wrench, and a monkey wrench.
- They taught me how to work the wrench, the monkey wrench, so I kind of had to do a bit of training, to be honest with you.
- Last, but not least, what tool kit is not complete without a monkey wrench.
verbBack to top
(monkey-wrench) [with object] informal Sabotage (something), especially as a form of protest: they will spike trees and monkeywrench any attempts to log in wilderness areas (as noun monkey-wrenching) the five defendants received jail sentences for monkey-wrenching
More example sentences
- ‘They would have let me out after a month if I'd expressed remorse,’ he says, ‘but we couldn't let them think jailing me would stop monkey-wrenching.’
- More than a narrative of organizing, demonstrating and monkey-wrenching, it places Earth First!
- For years, they were seen as the power behind attempted monkey-wrenching to the state's environmental laws and its stiff anti-corporate farming law.
a monkey wrench in the works
- see work.
- Example sentences
- What would Abbey's principal monkey-wrencher think of a trail named after him?
Definition of monkey wrench in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan