A flowering plant with an embryo that bears a single cotyledon (seed leaf). Monocotyledons constitute the smaller of the two great divisions of flowering plants, and typically have elongated stalkless leaves with parallel veins (e.g. grasses, lilies, palms). Compare with dicotyledon.
- Class Monocotyledoneae (or -donae, -dones; sometimes Liliopsida), subdivision Angiospermae
- Sandersonia aurantiaca is a liliaceous monocotyledon with a bell-shaped corolla formed from fused petals and sepals (tepals).
- In monocotyledons, the expanding region of leaves, where cell division and tissue expansion take place, is located near the leaf insertion point.
- Lipid transfer proteins are small, basic proteins that have been purified from both monocotyledons and dicotyledons.
- Example sentences
- However GLR-like genes have been identified in other dicotyledonous and monocotyledonous species as well as in gymnosperms, indicating that these genes are of general importance in plant physiology.
- This protein has 11% methionine in its coding sequence and is stable in seed- and non-seed tissues of both monocotyledonous and dicotyledonous plants.
- Moreover, there is the CAM-performing Yoshua tree of the genus Yucca with a special monocotyledonous type of secondary thickening.
Words that rhyme with monocotyledoncedarn, cotyledon, dicotyledon, Eden, Sweden
Definition of monocotyledon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.