- The cultivation of a single crop in a given area: the replacement of natural forest with pine monocultureMore example sentences
- The necessity for crop protection emerged with agriculture not because of any practice of monoculture but because crops were now being grown in areas outside where they originated.
- The fields flourished but with such vast areas of monoculture, farmers had to use massive amounts of chemical pesticides.
- Reports from the West Indies during the second half of the century indicate the steady advance of sugar cultivation, although sugar monoculture was certainly not the case in these islands.
More definitions of monocultureDefinition of monoculture in:
- The US English dictionary