noun (plural monopodia)Botany
- A single continuous growth axis which extends at its apex and produces successive lateral shoots. Compare with sympodium.
- More example sentences
- The main axis of each is a monopodial unbranched rhizome that grows plagiotropically, with little internode elongation, below the soil surface.
- As a walnut tree ages, the development pattern changes from monopodial to sympodial.
- Rhynia is also a vascular plant, with somewhat monopodial branching to a height of about 18 cm.
More definitions of monopodiumDefinition of monopodium in:
- The US English dictionary