1 Physics A single electric charge or magnetic pole, especially a hypothetical isolated magnetic pole.
- ‘In a sense the searches for both magnetic monopoles and gravity waves are very similar,’ he says.
- The result would be quite different if the magnetic dipoles were composed instead of free monopoles, analogous to electric charges.
- Yet particle theories like Grand Unified Theories and superstring theory predict magnetic monopoles should exist.
2A radio aerial or pylon consisting of a single pole or rod.
- Common HF antennas like vertical monopoles, horizontal wire dipoles, and loop antennas all provide omni-directional communications when configured properly.
- A digital radio hi-fi tuner will come with an indoor aerial, either a ribbon dipole or a monopole (half dipole).
- Marsis features three long antenna booms - a dipole and monopole - that broadcast very long wavelength radio waves toward the planet.
- Example sentences
- The length of the longest microtubule bundle in monopolar tubulin arrays was measured microscopically.
- The histograms display the average monopolar array length at each time point.
- Energy from the monopolar system may travel through one of two routes or some combination of the two.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan