1 Physics A single electric charge or magnetic pole, especially a hypothetical isolated magnetic pole.
- ‘In a sense the searches for both magnetic monopoles and gravity waves are very similar,’ he says.
- The result would be quite different if the magnetic dipoles were composed instead of free monopoles, analogous to electric charges.
- Yet particle theories like Grand Unified Theories and superstring theory predict magnetic monopoles should exist.
2A radio aerial or pylon consisting of a single pole or rod.
- Common HF antennas like vertical monopoles, horizontal wire dipoles, and loop antennas all provide omni-directional communications when configured properly.
- A digital radio hi-fi tuner will come with an indoor aerial, either a ribbon dipole or a monopole (half dipole).
- Marsis features three long antenna booms - a dipole and monopole - that broadcast very long wavelength radio waves toward the planet.
- Example sentences
- The length of the longest microtubule bundle in monopolar tubulin arrays was measured microscopically.
- The histograms display the average monopolar array length at each time point.
- Energy from the monopolar system may travel through one of two routes or some combination of the two.