noun[mass noun] Linguistics
- The property of having only one meaning.More example sentences
- These concern the distinction between polysemy and homonymy, and between polysemy and monosemy.
- More example sentences
- It might be unclear, in any given case, whether a word should be regarded as polysemous or monosemous.
- Fortunately, about half of abbreviations (5772 in the supplemental abbreviation file) seem to be monosemous.
More definitions of monosemyDefinition of monosemy in:
- The US English dictionary