Definition of monotheism in English:
The doctrine or belief that there is only one God.
- Once the option for religion has been made, the only serious alternatives are pantheism and monotheism.
- This monotheism, this religion of the one, of course has universal appeal.
- In a contest with polytheism, monotheism is likely to prevail, and one who comes to hold that many natural phenomena were created intentionally probably will come to believe in God.
- Example sentences
- All that they require, by the way, is a belief in a Supreme Being - a monotheist god or absolute reality.
- One of the most poignant stories of the Torah tells us about Abraham, the first monotheist, and his relationship with God.
- As staunch monotheists, for example, they saw the entire universe as the seamless work of God.
Pronunciation: /ˈmɒnə(ʊ)θiːɪst/noun& adjective
Definition of monotheism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.