Definition of monsoon in English:
1A seasonal prevailing wind in the region of South and South East Asia, blowing from the south-west between May and September and bringing rain (the wet monsoon), or from the north-east between October and April (the dry monsoon).
- This creates winds that generally blow from the southwest during the summer monsoon and from the northeast from October to April.
- The south-west monsoon from May to October brings heavy rain and heavy seas and can restrict diving.
- Besides, both north-east and south-west monsoons have a higher level of rainfall which may discourage farmers from applying more fertilisers.
1.1The rainy season accompanying the wet monsoon.
- So it's been a long summer, a long hot summer, and once the hot season ends then the monsoon is just now come.
- Following the dry season, the monsoons hit the community in full force; several people drowned, trapped in the city's storm water runoff channels.
- India's dramatic seasons of drought and monsoon can destroy everything a person owns.
- Example sentences
- Rainfall in the savannah region usually arrives between November and April in heavy bursts from monsoonal depressions or tropical cyclones.
- As monsoonal rains poured down, the Gulf Country of Queensland, and extensive areas of the dry centre, were turned into vast inland seas, isolating pastoral stations and causing heavy cattle losses.
- The climate of the study area is sub-tropical and monsoonal.
Words that rhyme with monsoonafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
Definition of monsoon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.