noun (plural montunos)
1A traditional costume worn by men from Panama, consisting of short white cotton trousers and an embroidered shirt.
- The man's costume, the montuno, is a long white cotton shirt, with fringe or embroidered decorations, and knee-length trousers.
- The far simpler and more rustic men's montuno is of Indian origin.
2An improvised passage in a rumba.
- On the cha cha cha ‘Escucha El Ritmo’, Oscar Hernandez gets to play some really nice montuno and jazz chops.
- It is the montuno that went on to ultimately develop into Salsa which is popular all over the world today.
- During the faster montuno section of the dance, the dancers may open up into moves where they don't face each other if they wish
American Spanish, literally 'native to mountains, untamed'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.