Definition of moraine in English:
A mass of rocks and sediment carried down and deposited by a glacier, typically as ridges at its edges or extremity.
- It is also likely that mass movement is much more common during periods when glaciers are retreating; large moraines and steep valley sides are then unstable because they are no longer supported by the glacier.
- A moraine is the ground up debris consisting of everything from giant boulders to fine rock powder which a glacier leaves behind.
- Boulder clay, the most widespread deposit, represents the ground moraine of the ice sheet.
- Example sentences
- A medial moraine is a strip of morainal debris in the middle of glacier ice which marks where two glaciers come together.
- Lloyd Point stands at the western end of a mile long sand and gravel bar, Lloyd Point Beach, that projects west from the morainal deposits that form the bulk of the park.
- They occur mostly on low gently sloping and flat lands adjacent to morainal hills and they support the richest, tallest forests in the park.
- Example sentences
- The presence of morainic terrains near the lake makes it possible to produce a high quality wine.
- Latvia's undulating landscape is dominated by morainic hills and meltwater deposits dating back to the latest glacial epoch.
- The second method digs or drills tunnels through the morainic dams or surrounding rock; the tunnels are left open to prevent the glacier lakes from forming in the future.
Words that rhyme with moraineabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
Definition of moraine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.