noun (plural mosquitoes)
- A slender long-legged fly with aquatic larvae. The bite of the bloodsucking female can transmit a number of serious diseases including malaria and elephantiasis.
More example sentences
- Culex, Anopheles, and other genera, family Culicidae
- Humans can contract the disease when bitten by mosquitoes infected with West Nile virus.
- Only 30 years old, he died of yellow fever, transmitted by a mosquito's bite.
- The pesticide kills mosquitoes, the blood-sucking pests that spread malaria.
late 16th century: from Spanish and Portuguese, diminutive of mosca, from Latin musca 'fly'.
More definitions of mosquitoDefinition of mosquito in:
- The US English dictionary