Definition of motile in English:
1 Zoology & Botany (Of cells, gametes, and single-celled organisms) capable of motion: males produce small motile gametes
More example sentences
- This has had a tremendous impact on fungal biology, because it means that no fungus can produce motile gametes, and two organisms must therefore come into direct physical contact to effect sexual reproduction.
- Finally, greater moisture availability would enhance transfer of motile gametes, thereby leading to more successful sporophyte development.
- Most are motile animals, but members of the order Stauromedusae are sessile.
mid 19th century: from Latin motus 'motion', on the pattern of mobile.
- Example sentences
- Sperm motility and progression were determined as described above.
- They affect the brain and nervous system, and have an effect on the motility, or movement, of the gut.
- Thus, it is safe to describe IBS as a problem of disordered bowel motility.
Definition of motile in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan