- 1 Zoology & Botany (Of cells, gametes, and single-celled organisms) capable of motion: males produce small motile gametesMore example sentences
- This has had a tremendous impact on fungal biology, because it means that no fungus can produce motile gametes, and two organisms must therefore come into direct physical contact to effect sexual reproduction.
- Finally, greater moisture availability would enhance transfer of motile gametes, thereby leading to more successful sporophyte development.
- Most are motile animals, but members of the order Stauromedusae are sessile.
- More example sentences
- Sperm motility and progression were determined as described above.
- They affect the brain and nervous system, and have an effect on the motility, or movement, of the gut.
- Thus, it is safe to describe IBS as a problem of disordered bowel motility.
mid 19th century: from Latin motus 'motion', on the pattern of mobile.
More definitions of motileDefinition of motile in:
- The US English dictionary