Definition of mousseline in English:
1 [mass noun] A very fine, semi-opaque fabric similar to muslin: [as modifier]: a silk mousseline camisole
More example sentences
- Tweed, stretch knit, mousseline silk and techno fabrics, used to draw attention to natural feminine curves without sacrificing the practical qualities of lightness and comfort, are emphasized this season.
- His easy mix of racer-back tank tops with beautifully cut mousseline, chiffon and matte jersey slip dresses was edgy and youthful without being derivative.
- Tones wore a black mousseline dress over a cream satin foundation and a black and white picture hat.
2A soft, light sweet or savoury mousse.
- Suddenly, we discovered a new perspective on mousses, mousselines, and textures in general.
- For the mousseline, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- For the mousseline preheat the oven to 300 degrees and brush the inside of six ramekins with butter.
3 (also sauce mousseline) [mass noun] Hollandaise sauce that has been made frothy with whipped cream or egg white, served mainly with fish or asparagus.
- The firm white flesh is highly esteemed, and is often honoured with an expensive sauce (e.g. lobster sauce, sauce mousseline) in restaurants.
- If you are in a pampering mood, however, order the smoked salmon with mousseline sauce crepe, which is very reasonably priced.
- Onaga is the premium of snappers and a local favorite when breaded, sautéed in white wine and butter, then topped with sauce mousseline.
Words that rhyme with mousselineHölderlin • nepheline
Definition of mousseline in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan