Definition of mousseline in English:
1 [mass noun] A very fine, semi-opaque fabric similar to muslin: [as modifier]: a silk mousseline camisole
More example sentences
- Tweed, stretch knit, mousseline silk and techno fabrics, used to draw attention to natural feminine curves without sacrificing the practical qualities of lightness and comfort, are emphasized this season.
- His easy mix of racer-back tank tops with beautifully cut mousseline, chiffon and matte jersey slip dresses was edgy and youthful without being derivative.
- Tones wore a black mousseline dress over a cream satin foundation and a black and white picture hat.
2A soft, light sweet or savoury mousse.
- Suddenly, we discovered a new perspective on mousses, mousselines, and textures in general.
- For the mousseline, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- For the mousseline preheat the oven to 300 degrees and brush the inside of six ramekins with butter.
3 (also sauce mousseline) [mass noun] Hollandaise sauce that has been made frothy with whipped cream or egg white, served mainly with fish or asparagus.
- The firm white flesh is highly esteemed, and is often honoured with an expensive sauce (e.g. lobster sauce, sauce mousseline) in restaurants.
- If you are in a pampering mood, however, order the smoked salmon with mousseline sauce crepe, which is very reasonably priced.
- Onaga is the premium of snappers and a local favorite when breaded, sautéed in white wine and butter, then topped with sauce mousseline.
Late 17th century: from French (see muslin).
Words that rhyme with mousselineHölderlin • nepheline
Definition of mousseline in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.