noun(usually mouthparts) Zoology
- Any of the appendages, typically found in pairs, surrounding the mouth of an insect or other arthropod and adapted for feeding.More example sentences
- Crustacea are characterized by two pairs of antennae, three pairs of mouthparts, and a special type of larvae called the nauplius.
- No bigger than an apple seed, the bedbug is descended from plant-feeding insects that evolved skin-piercing mouthparts for sucking up blood.
- The clearest examples are certain mosquito species in which the mouthparts of males are adapted for drinking nectar and those of females for imbibing blood.
More definitions of mouthpartDefinition of mouthpart in:
- The US English dictionary