noun (plural mpingos)
- An East African leguminous tree with dense black timber which is used for carvings and musical instruments.
More example sentences
- Dalbergia melanoxylon, family Leguminosae
- His photos of the sculptor cutting down an mpingo tree and sculpting a piece of root wood, and his image of a group of sculptors at work beneath an enormous mango tree, are remarkable.
- Far from corrupting Makonde sculpting, the shift to mpingo - with its dense grain - allowed artists to advance their technical skills and to obtain finely detailed results.
- Until recently, southern Tanzania was relatively isolated and its population of mpingo mostly unscathed.