Definition of multicellular in English:
(Of an organism or part) having or consisting of many cells.
- The evolution of multicellular animals from unicellular protists is one of the key transitions of life on Earth.
- What caused the delay of over a billion years in the evolution of multicellular animals after the evolution of single cell eukaryotes?
- Thus, for instance, all the cells in a multicellular organism represent one clone derived from the fertilized egg.
- Example sentences
- This supracellular, or organismal, approach towards multicellularity seems to have allowed sessile plants to adapt to life on land and to evolve even within hostile environments.
- This could have been the origin of both multicellularity and the requirement for cell death in multicellular organisms.
- Thus it seems likely that the volvocine algae may retain in their genomes more evidence of the pathway that they followed from unicellularity to multicellularity than members of the major multicellular groups do.
Definition of multicellular in:
- US English dictionary