Definition of multithreading in English:
noun[mass noun] Computing
A technique by which a single set of code can be used by several processors at different stages of execution.
- But unlike its predecessor, the Power5 processor includes simultaneous multithreading technology, making it possible to run a total of four software threads per chip.
- Powerful computer operating systems using Microsoft Windows, OS / 2 and Unix support multithreading and multitasking and helped SCSI devices gain in popularity.
- Video game programmers could make hay with multithreading, too, building more sophisticated artificial intelligence engines while simultaneously creating a more realistic 3D environment, he adds.
- Example sentences
- However, as more client applications become multithreaded, dual-core processors will make sense in all product lines, he says.
- These multicore processor-powered boxes are built to run multithreaded software - in particular Java application servers and other virtual machine-happy apps.
- In short: the user will benefit from a dual core processor when he or she is running multithreaded software or working in a true multitasking environment.
Definition of multithreading in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan