- Any of a number of bivalve molluscs with a brown or purplish-black shell:
More example sentences
- ● a marine bivalve which uses byssus threads to anchor to a firm surface (family Mytilidae, order Mytiloidea), including the edible mussel (Mytilus edulis). ● a freshwater bivalve which typically lies on the bed of a river, some species forming small pearls (family Unionidae, order Unionoida).
- The shop also has a wide range of seafood including tiger prawns, mussels, sea bream and breaded crab claws.
- Add the vegetables, watercress and shelled mussels and clams to this, season to taste and serve.
- Extract the meat from most of the mussels and discard the shells.
Old English mus(c)le, superseded by forms from Middle Low German mussel, Middle Dutch mosscele; ultimately from late Latin muscula, from Latin musculus (see muscle).
More definitions of musselDefinition of mussel in:
- The US English dictionary