An extinct giant ground sloth found in Pleistocene ice age deposits in South America. It died out only 11,000 years ago.
- Genus Glossotherium (formerly Mylodon), family Mylodontidae
More example sentences
- Instead, we are treated to four vigorous profiles, with only the lion and the mylodon drawn full frontal.
- It was in fact, evidently a piece of the skin of a mylodon, which had survived in this region until modern times.
- The cave now contains an unbelievably horrible life-size plastic model of a mylodon.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek mulē 'mill, molar' + odous, odont- 'tooth'.
Definition of mylodon in:
- The US English dictionary