Definition of mystagogue in English:
A teacher or propounder of mystical doctrines.
- John the Evangelist thus becomes the perfect type of the mystic, and also the perfect mystagogue, teacher of the mystical path.
- He imagines the church as a community of ‘mystagogues,’ attuned, disciplined, perceptive and nimble.
- And, as I have argued elsewhere, Mallarme does not hesitate to appropriate for himself the status of the mystagogue / joker that many of his contemporaries perceive him to be.
- Example sentences
- They cannot be rightly understood except by persons who undergo a kind of mystagogy, enabling them to glimpse the transcendent through concepts derived from finite things.
- It is also here that he is most Catholic, by centering his proposal in sacramental theology and a robust mystagogy.
- But there are problems with Ambrose's mystagogy.
Definition of mystagogue in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.