noun[mass noun] Medicine
- 1Swelling of the skin and underlying tissues giving a waxy consistency, typical of patients with underactive thyroid glands.More example sentences
- Patients with myxedema present with rough skin of the palms, soles, elbows and knees, and yellow-orange discoloration of the skin, along with other signs of hypothyroidism.
- The differential diagnosis includes venous stasis dermatitis, pretibial myxedema, filariasis, and ichthyosis.
- He supports this with reference to a retrospective analysis of the records of 50 patients with myxoedema.
More definitions of myxoedemaDefinition of myxoedema in:
- The US English dictionary