noun[mass noun] Medicine
A synthetic compound which inhibits the multiplication of bacteria, used chiefly to treat urinary infections.
- A heterocyclic compound; chemical formula: C12H12N2O3
More example sentences
- In India, almost 100% of the healthy population carry bacteria that are resistant to ampicillin, trimethoprim, nalidixic acid, and chloramphenicol.
- The original quinolone antibiotics included nalidixic acid, cinoxacin and oxolinic acid (no longer available in the United States).
- There has also been a change in the antimicrobial susceptibility pattern; resistance to ampicillin and nalidixic acid has changed in recent times.
Definition of nalidixic acid in:
- The US English dictionary