Definition of nares in English:
plural noun (singular naris)Anatomy & Zoology
- The lips, nares, anus, and fin membranes, by comparison, are white (with few melanophores along the edges of the fin rays).
- However, the use of nares (like nostrils, located on the top of the head) to detect pheromones is probably the most important type of chemoreception in fishes.
- The location (distance from the nares / incisors), length and resting pressure should be recorded.
late 17th century: plural of Latin naris 'nostril, nose'.
- Example sentences
- The crown from narial feathers to nape is uniform dark brown, the feathers with slightly darker tips.
- Another odd characteristic of beavers is that their epiglottis lies above the soft palate, within the narial passage.
- In most cases some or all of the bone lies below the level of the dermal surface bones and inside the narial opening.
Definition of nares in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan