Definition of natural philosophy in English:
noun[mass noun] archaic
Natural science, especially physical science.
- They weren't physicists and chemists in those days, they were natural philosophers, and natural philosophy included mathematics.
- But she also transgressed social norms by dedicating herself to Newtonian natural philosophy.
- Before the book was published Sneddon had returned to Glasgow as a lecturer in physics, or rather natural philosophy as the subject was called in the ancient Scottish Universities at that time.
natural philosopher noun
- Example sentences
- On the whole, the vortex theory offered the natural philosopher a highly intuitive model of celestial phenomena that was compatible with the mechanical philosophy.
- According to Newton, the natural philosopher may establish that phenomena are related in a certain way, but cannot establish that the relation could not be otherwise.
- By 1704 Newton was fast becoming England's most eminent natural philosopher.
Definition of natural philosophy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan