noun[mass noun] Medicine
Gradual degeneration and death of cells in the body tissues.
More example sentences
- Diabetic necrobiosis typically causes discrete pretibial plaques, not the confluent skin changes seen in this patient.
- Apart from necrobiosis lipoidica, diabetes is not a primary cause of ulceration but often leads to ulceration through neuropathy or ischaemia, or both.
- Ulceration occurs in about one third of diabetic patients with necrobiosis lipoidica, and spontaneous remission is relatively uncommon.
- More example sentences
- Because necrobiotic nodules may be indistinguishable radiologically from carcinoma and infectious granulomas, it has been recommended that all pulmonary nodules in rheumatoid patients be biopsied.
- Acinar cells surrounding the necrotic foci showed atrophy and necrobiotic changes, and numerous eosinophilic intranuclear inclusions with clear halos (Cowdry type A) were noted.
- Despite the increased frequency of lung cancer in patients with rheumatoid lung disease, we could find only 2 previous case reports of a carcinoma occurring in intimate association with a necrobiotic nodule.