noun (plural nectaries)Botany
- A nectar-secreting glandular organ in a flower (floral) or on a leaf or stem (extrafloral).More example sentences
- The calyx, the subtending bracts and the two prophylls bear groups of extrafloral nectaries (single peltate trichomes).
- So these are called extra floral nectaries and this process really drives what goes on here in this forest.
- As the flowers are proterogynous anthesis was considered to comprise the period between bud opening and the abscission of stamens and nectaries.
mid 18th century: from modern Latin nectarium, from nectar (see nectar).
More definitions of nectaryDefinition of nectary in:
- The US English dictionary