- Relating to or denoting a state of a liquid crystal in which the molecules are oriented in parallel but not arranged in well-defined planes. Compare with smectic.More example sentences
- Molecules in the nematic liquid crystal phase stay parallel to one another.
- Many are eyeing nematic elastomers, which can deform 400% in response to heating or cooling.
- Liquid crystal composite with droplets of plural chiral nematic materials with different reflection bands
nounBack to top
- A nematic substance.More example sentences
- For low concentrations of added BSA the MTs form a nematic, whereas at higher concentrations the rectangular bundle phase is observed.
- The presences of very small amounts of MAPs greatly suppress the nematic to rectangular bundle transition.
early 20th century: from Greek nēma, nēmat- 'thread' + -ic.
More definitions of nematicDefinition of nematic in:
- The US English dictionary