noun (plural neocortices)Anatomy
A part of the cerebral cortex concerned with sight and hearing in mammals, regarded as the most recently evolved part of the cortex.
- Previous opinion held that the malleable behavior of mammals required the higher-order neocortex found in mammals.
- Is there something special about hypermineralized tissues that stuns the speech centers of the neocortex, rendering normal communication impossible?
- A direct analogy exists between the construction of ARN in the functionally plastic mushroom bodies and protocerebral lobes of bees and the construction of ARN in the neocortex of mammals.
- Example sentences
- It is observed in a variety of systems, from invertebrate neuromuscular junctions to neocortical synapses.
- At the forefront is a new initiative to create a software replica of the brain's neocortical column, the smallest network of neurons (nerve cells) and an elementary building block of the mammalian brain.
- Information concerning mental status and the specific areas of cerebral cortex represented by the neocortical blocks was not available.
Definition of neocortex in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.