Definition of neocortex in English:
noun (plural neocortices)Anatomy
A part of the cerebral cortex concerned with sight and hearing in mammals, regarded as the most recently evolved part of the cortex.
- Previous opinion held that the malleable behavior of mammals required the higher-order neocortex found in mammals.
- Is there something special about hypermineralized tissues that stuns the speech centers of the neocortex, rendering normal communication impossible?
- A direct analogy exists between the construction of ARN in the functionally plastic mushroom bodies and protocerebral lobes of bees and the construction of ARN in the neocortex of mammals.
- Example sentences
- It is observed in a variety of systems, from invertebrate neuromuscular junctions to neocortical synapses.
- At the forefront is a new initiative to create a software replica of the brain's neocortical column, the smallest network of neurons (nerve cells) and an elementary building block of the mammalian brain.
- Information concerning mental status and the specific areas of cerebral cortex represented by the neocortical blocks was not available.
Definition of neocortex in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan