Definition of neoteny in English:
noun[mass noun] Zoology
1The retention of juvenile features in the adult animal. Also called paedomorphosis.
- This is a classic example of an evolutionary phenomenon known as neoteny - the retention of larval or juvenile features in mature adults.
- In fact Neo, as he has been named, suffers from a condition known as neoteny, where juvenile characteristics, like gills, are retained into adulthood.
- Among early codiacrinids adaptive forms evolved initially through both neoteny and progenesis.
1.1The sexual maturity of an animal while it is still in a mainly larval state, as in the axolotl. Also called paedogenesis.
- The acquisition of sexual maturity by an animal while still in the larval stage is a process that goes under the name neoteny.
- Facultative neoteny also occurs in some species of true salamanders.
- Example sentences
- However, the young man can take advantage of the fact that older men are also of the generation before, who are less neotenic and look more like apes.
- Direct-developing and normal biphasic frogs have slightly larger genomes, followed by biphasic, then direct-developing, and finally facultatively and then obligately neotenic salamanders.
- Sermonti therefore argues that neotenic organisms - in which juvenile traits persist into adulthood, e.g. gills in adult salamanders - must be archaic, because their features appear earlier in development.
- Example sentences
- The literature suggest that the frequency of neotenous newts in a population could be as low as one in 1, 500.
- Reisinger had suggested in 1960 that Xenoturbella might be derived from a neotenous deuterostome larva based on features of the nervous system, the enteropneust-like epidermis and the spermatozoa.
- Thomas suggested that the noetiid ligament evolved from a ligament with outer chevrons only, as in Anadara antiquata, or the neotenous ligament of limopsids.
Definition of neoteny in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan