Definition of neuroepithelium in English:
noun[mass noun] Anatomy
1A type of epithelium containing sensory nerve endings and found in certain sense organs (e.g. the retina, the inner ear, the nasal membranes, and the taste buds).
- The free nerve endings of cranial nerve V are located diffusely throughout the nasal respiratory epithelium, including regions of the olfactory neuroepithelium.
- Scanning electron microscopy on neuroepithelium of dissected cochlea, i.e., of the upper surface of the hair cells of the organ of Corti, was used to investigate the cause of deafness.
- Smell receptors are located within the olfactory neuroepithelium, a region of tissue found over the cribiform plate, the superior septum and a segment of the superior turbinate.
2(In embryology) ectoderm that develops into nerve tissue.
- Immature neural tissue or neuroepithelium is more common than grade 1 but does not exceed an aggregate area of three low-power microscopic fields in any one slide.
- An aggregate area of one low-power microscopic field, even if only in one slide of the tumor, exceeds the minor amount of immature brain or neuroepithelium acceptable for Grade 1.
- Example sentences
- The authors conclude that allergen exposure depletes calcitonin gene-related peptide in neuroepithelial bodies and submucosal nerve fibers, and that replacement of the peptide can reverse the changes in airway responsiveness.
- Note that by definition, neuroepithelial bodies must be innervated and this could not be evaluated on the given slides because pulmonary nerve fibers are negative for BLP immunostaining.
- Unfortunately, insufficient tumor was available to perform additional stains for neuroepithelial or neural crest markers.
Definition of neuroepithelium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan