Definition of neutropenia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
The presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection.
- Fever and infection, due to neutropenia, are infrequent at presentation, but may occur later in the disease.
- As for safety, most drugs caused the usual signs of cytotoxicity, including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, fever, infections, and gastrointestinal toxicity.
- Prophylactic antibiotics can prevent infections and save lives in patients who develop neutropenia after chemotherapy for cancer, say researchers from Israel.
- Example sentences
- Despite initial pancytopenia and neutropenic sepsis, she has tolerated three cycles of chemotherapy.
- Children who are neutropenic secondary to cancer chemotherapy are usually admitted to the hospital for treatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics when they develop a fever.
- Systemic infection with Candida is a challenging problem in immunocompromised neutropenic patients.
Definition of neutropenia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.