Definition of nickel in English:
- Metals like silver, nickel and gold are a perfect medium for coinage because of their durability and the value accorded by their relative rarity.
- We are already exporting gold and we have substantial resources of silver, uranium, nickel, cobalt, the deposits of which need further investigation.
- When waste oils are burned in incinerators, toxic metals such as nickel, vanadium and cadmium get ensnared in the particles given off into the atmosphere.
- Here we have ten coins: pennies, nickels, and dimes.
- You have five quarters, two nickels, three dimes and a penny in your pocket.
- There on the counter, the boy had left two nickels and five pennies.
verb (nickels, nickelling, nickelled; US nickels, nickeling, nickeled)[with object] (usually as adjective nickelled) Back to top
- Riggs had executed scrollwork on more than 75 percent of the big Smith and then had it satin nickeled to better show off the engraving.
- The gun that came out of Devel as a Basic Combat Conversion, shortened and electroless nickeled, looked like it grew that size, but still packed a punch.
mid 18th century: shortening of German Kupfernickel, the copper-coloured ore from which nickel was first obtained, from Kupfer 'copper' + Nickel 'demon' (with reference to the ore's failure to yield copper).
- Example sentences
- In the early 1900's Thomas Edison developed the alkaline cell using iron and nickelic oxide.
- The amount of free cadmium in the oversized plate is matched to discharge in step with the amount of nickelic hydroxide provided in the positive plate.
- Nickel Cadmium batteries work by oxidizing nickelic hydroxide into nickelous hydroxide, which produces two free electronics for every transaction.
- Example sentences
- Garrett Solyom, in his book The World of the Javanese Keris, describes the kris as long asymmetrical daggers with distinctive blade-patterning achieved through alternating laminations of iron and pamor (nickelous iron).
- The formation of nickelous ions substituted magnetite was enhanced with a decrease in the oxygen bubbling rate.
- The spherical nickelous hydroxide which is dopped, according to present invention, has advantages of uniform size and narrow size distribution.
Definition of nickel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.