Definition of niggardly in English:
1Ungenerous with money, time, etc.; mean: he accused the Government of being unbelievably niggardly
More example sentences
- I remain lukewarm in my ‘praise’ for this change whilst the Conservative Party continues to be so niggardly in its support for the rights of the individual in his/her dealings with the State.
- Brankin has promised financial backing from the Scottish Executive, but the private sector in Scotland has traditionally been niggardly in its support of major golfing events.
- The wife of a niggardly merchant asks the loan of a hundred francs from a priest to buy finery.
mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, penurious, grasping, greedy, avaricious, Scrooge-like, ungenerous, illiberal, close
North American informalcheap
1.1Meagre and given grudgingly: niggardly allowances from the Treasury a niggardly shoestring budget
More example sentences
- This contrasts so markedly with the niggardly travel concessions in this city and the miserable potential offer for the possible future by the miserly Chancellor of the Exchequer.
- The freedom he afforded his people was great… but couple it with the niggardly compensation, and you couldn't get anyone good to work for you for very long today.
- He must dodge the efforts of Danforth, representing the board of the co-op, from evicting him with a niggardly severance pay.
adverbarchaic Back to top
- Example sentences
meanness, miserliness, parsimony, parsimoniousness, close-fistedness, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, penury, illiberalityNorth American cheapnessarchaicnearnessmeagreness, inadequacy, scantiness, paltriness, limitedness, restrictedness, insufficiency, sparseness, spareness, deficiency, shortness, slightness, skimpiness, leanness, poorness, poverty, pitifulness, puniness, beggarlinessinformalmeaslinessrareexiguity
- Men with implausible whiskers and killer breath traded ribaldry and cursed the niggardliness of non-buyers, while women doled out penny dainties to raggedy kids and cackled about their menfolk's amorous shortcomings.
- There is a kind of niggardliness that mistakes itself for measure, for judgment.
- Its function is to purify the heart from the lowly bestial attributes of lust, calamities of the tongue, anger, malice, jealousy, love of the world, love of fame, niggardliness, greed, ostentation, vanity, deception, etc.
Words that rhyme with niggardlysluggardly • leisurely
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.