Definition of nihilism in English:
1The rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.
- Those who rejected nihilism and stood against evil in the past lead the way.
- Pinker argues that we need not fear nihilism or meaninglessness from the modern human sciences because they show that morality is wired into the human brain.
- And since he asserts that atheism = nihilism and deism = atheism lite, then I must really be a nihilist.
1.1 Philosophy The belief that nothing in the world has a real existence.
- Thus, from a Nietzschean perspective, nihilism is the unforeseen consequence of the Kantian critique of metaphysics.
- Existentialism is just another form of nihilism in Nietzsche's sense.
- The dislodging of epistemology from its old status of first philosophy loosed a wave, we saw, of epistemological nihilism.
- Example sentences
- Now the odd thing is that Strauss and his East Coast followers are atheists / nihilists imbibed in Nietzsche.
- But concluding that his rejection of these doctrines makes him a cynic, a nihilist or a remote modernist is to be misled by the humanism and Romanticism his work so effectively challenges.
- He was an atheist and a nihilist, and he's more influential than ever.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India