1Constituting number nine in a sequence; 9th: the ninth century the ninth of March
More example sentences
- Some time around the ninth century, Sappho's nine books were irrecoverably lost.
- It will be Hall's ninth tribunal appearance in nine seasons.
- The strike constituted Crawford's ninth goal of the season.
1.1The ninth finisher or position in a race or competition: he came in ninth
More example sentences
- Women's windsurfer Natasha Sturges was ninth in race four and stands ninth overall.
- Another British rider, Bradley Wiggins finished ninth in the scratch race - his first competitive outing since winning three medals in Athens.
- Remarkably, he finished in the top 10 in each race, including ninth in the Daytona 500.
1.2 Music An interval spanning nine consecutive notes in a diatonic scale.
- Mundy wrote The Buzzard especially at the request of Cecilia McDowall, whose initially rather spiky setting, using octaves and ninths, sets the scene for a clever contrast at the moment the bird soars, with accelerating swooping music.
- Percussive rhythm and pointillist effects propel this chant-like song depicting death as a beautiful woman marching on a road of bleached bones; difficult intervals, many sevenths and ninths.
- You can't create a chord for it with three pitches each a half-step (or a major seventh or minor ninth, for that matter) apart.
1.3 Music The note which is higher by a ninth than the tonic of a diatonic scale or root of a chord.
- The work lies far closer, at least in its harmonic thought, to American Modernism (say, Copland's music of the Twenties) than to what we might expect from familiar Creston - diatonic chords leavened with major sevenths and ninths.
1.4 Music A chord in which the ninth note of the scale forms an important component.
- The ornaments are measured and written out, it is in C major and it requires the hand span of a ninth.
- The E-flat's doable, but it's that diminished ninth… that's a male's chord.
- Scott and Dankworth were blown away by the melodic lines of modern jazz and its soulful use of chord substitutions, ninths and flattened fifths.
- Example sentences
- Ninthly, I love Dalian's colorful cultures.
- Ninthly, I really like the idea of getting people to donate old t-shirts to the quilt.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ninth
Definition of ninth in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.