Definition of ninth in English:
1Constituting number nine in a sequence; 9th: the ninth century the ninth of March
More example sentences
- Some time around the ninth century, Sappho's nine books were irrecoverably lost.
- It will be Hall's ninth tribunal appearance in nine seasons.
- The strike constituted Crawford's ninth goal of the season.
1.1The ninth finisher or position in a race or competition: he came in ninth
More example sentences
- Women's windsurfer Natasha Sturges was ninth in race four and stands ninth overall.
- Another British rider, Bradley Wiggins finished ninth in the scratch race - his first competitive outing since winning three medals in Athens.
- Remarkably, he finished in the top 10 in each race, including ninth in the Daytona 500.
1.2 Music An interval spanning nine consecutive notes in a diatonic scale.
- Mundy wrote The Buzzard especially at the request of Cecilia McDowall, whose initially rather spiky setting, using octaves and ninths, sets the scene for a clever contrast at the moment the bird soars, with accelerating swooping music.
- Percussive rhythm and pointillist effects propel this chant-like song depicting death as a beautiful woman marching on a road of bleached bones; difficult intervals, many sevenths and ninths.
- You can't create a chord for it with three pitches each a half-step (or a major seventh or minor ninth, for that matter) apart.
1.3 Music The note which is higher by a ninth than the tonic of a diatonic scale or root of a chord.
- The work lies far closer, at least in its harmonic thought, to American Modernism (say, Copland's music of the Twenties) than to what we might expect from familiar Creston - diatonic chords leavened with major sevenths and ninths.
1.4 Music A chord in which the ninth note of the scale forms an important component.
- The ornaments are measured and written out, it is in C major and it requires the hand span of a ninth.
- The E-flat's doable, but it's that diminished ninth… that's a male's chord.
- Scott and Dankworth were blown away by the melodic lines of modern jazz and its soulful use of chord substitutions, ninths and flattened fifths.
- Example sentences
- Ninthly, I love Dalian's colorful cultures.
- Ninthly, I really like the idea of getting people to donate old t-shirts to the quilt.
Words that rhyme with ninthabsinthe • hyacinth
Definition of ninth in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan