- another term for saltpetre.More example sentences
- The German U-boats were shooting on the boats, so most of the niter they were trying to import to make nitroglycerin was at the bottom of the ocean.
- Various reflecting surfaces were used: polished metallic rocks such as obsidian, pyrite, and iron; rock crystal; and an alloy of rose copper and tin, plus an alchemical brew consisting of white arsenic, red tartar, and nitre.
- Nitre, or niter, is also used to manufacture gunpowder.
late Middle English: from Old French, from Latin nitrum, from Greek nitron.
More definitions of nitreDefinition of nitre in:
- The US English dictionary