Definition of nitride in English:
A binary compound of nitrogen with a more electropositive element.
- The barrier may be a thin film containing at least one of a nitride, oxide, boride, silicide, carbide and aluminide.
- It is interesting to note that this is also true of a number of nitrides and borides.
- Today's silicon steels use MnS as the grain growth inhibitor, but other compounds, such as carbides, oxides, or nitrides, are also effective.
verb[with object] (usually as noun nitriding) Metallurgy Back to top
Heat (steel) in the presence of ammonia or other nitrogenous material so as to increase hardness and corrosion resistance.
- When these steels are nitrided the aluminum forms AlN particles, which strain the ferrite lattice and create strengthening dislocations.
- Nitrogen may be introduced into the surface of the steel by nitriding.
- A roof-area cross-member is nitrided (bonding titanium and nitrogen to the parent steel after stamping) to raise its tensile strength to 145,000 lbs/sq.-in.
Definition of nitride in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan